Hi, Welcome!

This factory is made out of love & zest. It's rolling out home-made flashcards from time to time. Feel free to browse and comment! ^-^

Friday, November 6, 2009

About vaccinations.. Am I the odd parent?

The last time we visited Dr Beardy (affectionately called 'Da Hu Zi Yi Sheng' in mandarin- our family GP) for Ya tou's vaccination, he asked if I wanted to give Zhirui the Chicken pox jab.

I pondered for quite a while. The fact is that I have already got an answer, which is 'No', but wondered if I should reconsider..

He helped to break the silence by informing me that most parents would do so.

"But during my generation, we have been living along with Chicken pox. I mean, it is a common childhood disease and not a threat to life." I provided my point.

GP explained that it saves parents alot of trouble and the child from suffering.

This set me thinking on why this difference in mentality...
SB and I are pro-natural and we try to adopt a natural way of life as much as possible. When Zhirui was still a bean in my womb, we had decided to deliver her naturally, avoid epidural and practise total breast-feeding. (We were quite disturbed when our gynae used a vacuum to assist her birth without seeking our opinion.)

Back to the point on vaccines, perhaps parents nowadays are more eager to protect their children from sickness, germs, suffering. While we try to shield our children from all perceived harms, are we also making them more vulnerable? While we try to alleviate their suffering, would they grow up to be less emphathetic of the less fortunate?

I watched a documentary on acute eczema on children recently. A study was conducted to examine the outcome of a group of eczema-inflicted children after daily play sessions in the garden. Children were exposed to soil and dirt during play. There was considerable improvement in conditions of these children. It concluded that 'squeaky clean' and aseptic environment could have made our bodies less resistant and leading higher occurences of allergies.

Just sharing another school of thought. :) For a path less travelled, it takes a strong belief.

2 comments:

Marpig said...

Ah~~ Sansao, can u believe it, Marpig had already touched on these issues in her bloggie entries long time ago!! :P

1) Now u noe why Marpig add a "unique" to her nick; it takes a certain amt of courage to be different from the herd

2) Marpig has not have chicken pox YET... itz gonna be dangerous at her age now...

3) U r totally right & this has always been Marpigz belief too; although not literally, but to teach sm1 to swim, u got to put him/her in the water. 吃得苦中苦, 方为人上人

4) For point 3 above, Marpig dont mean tt one needs to suffer but one should not be pampered. No wonder therez so many children who waste food bcos their overly pampering parents allow/tell them to. Wat a shame bcos the morals being passed down these daes are total opposite to wat we were taught last time

5) Finally, 上梁不正, 下梁歪. 为人父母 should always set good examples to the future generations

Anonymous said...

Tian:I agree with you both--we shld take d natural way n believe our own body system can cope with illnesses. I dun believe in taking d H1N1 vaccine even if I am advised o cos of my upcoming US trip--need o consider d flip side which is some pp actually became sicker/died after taking d vaccine! If any sickness shld occur, I will use TCM to bring my system back to balance.

Post a Comment