Hi, Welcome!

This factory is made out of love & zest. It's rolling out home-made flashcards from time to time. Feel free to browse and comment! ^-^

Monday, September 14, 2009

End of my milking days..

More than a year ago, my husband and I made a firm decision to have our to-be-born ya tou exclusively breastfed. We were very determined to make it a success that we went all out-- studiously attended classes in BMSG, reading up everything on the topic and refrained stocking milk formula in our house. I remembered most of our relatives/friends who are mothers did not breastfeed, therefore there wasn't really a model for us to look up to.

Lucky for me, with a supportive husband and a cooperative baby, my breastfeeding journey started with few hurdles. I must never forget to give credit to my good old breast pump, Medela PIS. It became one of the cannot-live-without thing in my life.

During those struggling days when my supply could barely meet Zhirui's demand, I wonder how far can I carry on with this mission. My husband and I set a 3 months goal when Zhirui was just a month old. When she turned 3 months, we stretched it to 6 months. Soon, I realized that I could not give up breastfeeding! It's so natural and every latching moment felt so wonderful and loving. When she was younger, I would sing our favourite song "Home on the range" or read classics to her. She was most attentive when I recite the 'Heart sutra'. :)

It was a blessing in disguise when Zhirui contracted HFMD at 11 months, becos she learnt to sleep through the night during the episode. It was also then I started to reduce feeding direct to Zhirui. Soon after her first birthday, I decide to wean her off breastmilk by cutting the number of pumps. In 4 weeks' time, my supply dwindled to a pathetic 2oz a day.

Now, ya tou refused to latch, showing me her 'dispproving' face (小猪脸).
Alas, I can officially close shop.. albeit a little 舍不得...

0 comments:

Post a Comment